- 550g organic chicken livers, roughly chopped
- 1 brown onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup coconut oil (165g)
- 250g bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (50g)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 heaped tsp dried thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large fry pan cook the bacon on medium heat. Just before the bacon is cooked add the onion and cook for 2 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes until onion is transparent.
- Add the chicken livers, thyme, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and cook on a medium-high heat for a few minutes until the livers are browned all over. It is important not to cook the livers all the way through – they should be slightly red in the middle.
- Add the coconut oil and cook for a minute or two until the oil is melted. Take off heat and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes, or until ingredients are warm (so the coconut oil hasn’t started to go firm).
- Blend until smooth consistency, then transfer to sterile glass jars, covering with a layer of melted coconut oil and store in the fridge. I have kept in fridge for 5 days and pâté still tasted great. In theory it should keep for a week or more. Freezes well also.